Earth Day Promotions - 7 Last Minute Ideas to Celebrate Earth Day
Feb 15, 2011
Ok…so Earth Day is almost here, have you finalized your Earth Day marketing plans or is Earth Day going to sneak up on you again this year?
Take a deep breath and start planning now. Here are 7 last minute ideas to help you promote Earth Day 2011.
1. Make it fun: Earth Day has a serious message but it can be explained and promoted in a humorous way. Think of icons like Woodsy Owl , Gisele and the Green Team and Captain Planet. Hold a contest to create your own Earth Day Superhero
2. Bring it Outside: Earth Day is a well-promoted event that should be geared towards the outdoors. Hand out tree seedlings or flower seed packets. Encourage a trip to a national park, the woods or to another natural habitat to help people get a greater appreciation of nature and its interdependence on a clean environment.
3. Make it educational: Earth Day is the perfect time to educate the public about pollution, climate change, energy efficiency, clean water, recycling or any other particular green cause. If you have a product or service that can help in any of these areas, this is the perfect event to promote your business and the green message—without being too commercial.
4. Use green promotional products: All materials that are distributed should be eco-friendly, from the printed materials printed on FSC-certified paper to your promotional items, such as biodegradable balloons, recycled flying discs, coloring books and tote bags.
5. Encourage change: Make people think of what they are doing to contribute to climate change, energy dependence, increased landfill waste and encourage them to take a few steps to reduce their dependence. If we can encourage a 10% reduction in the amount of waste that ends up in landfills or reduce our energy consumption by 10%, think about what a better planet we can be living in. Promote. Prostyletize.
6. Help People to Understand Their Carbon Footprint: How people live their day to day lives affect their individual carbon footprint. Make people aware of their personal impact on the planet. A free, online carbon footprint calculator is a fun, no-cost way to gain greater understanding.
7. Make it Memorable: Be creative. Think outside the box. Make Earth Day 2011 stand out.
What are you going to do to make Earth Day 2011 the best ever? Please let me know. I look forward to hearing your comments.